Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dancing with the Stars!

Relieving some nerves with smiles before my performance. 

After ten minutes of rehearsal, hair and make up, an hour of rest and meeting the rest of the crew, it was time to start the show!  Since October, I have been making the forty minute drive to Omaha for one hour rehearsals with my dance partner Jeremy.  I was asked to participate in this amazing event by Elizabeth Edwards and with some convincing, I was able to do it.  This would be the second "Dancing with the Stars" event Elizabeth has put on to fundraise for the Ronald McDonald House Charity.

Within the first couple weeks, Jeremy and I had decided on doing a waltz to "Earth Song" by MJ.  I entered this competition with the idea that I wanted a serious challenge becuase I wanted to learn how to dance...for real.  With my personality, I was expecting a hot little salsa, or quickstep, with some bumpin' music, but Jeremy had something different in mind.  With my height, and to set me apart from many of the other dances, we went with a waltz.  And believe me...it was a HUGE challenge.  Do you realize I had to transform myself into this graceful, elegant, floating woman?!?!  It wasn't a very easy task needless to say.  But through Jeremy's patience and my hard work we did it!


I was chosen to open the competition that night, and was informed about this a few days in advance.  I have to tell a few stories in here though.  After my final rehearsal the Thursday before the competition, I chose my costume and felt great about the dance.  It wasn't until my mother arrived in town the next day that the nerves started kicking in.  I was very sassy and emotional.  Inside I was freaking out!  I know, I know...it's all for charity, and all for fun but I don't dance!  (Not publicly I don't!...in the comfort of my own home though, that's different).  On Saturday January 22nd, my mom and I met my sister in Omaha for lunch and the whole time I was all sorts of worked up.  My mom kept commenting on it and finally I just yelled, "I'm nervous mom!" which she responded to by saying, "But you do this kind of thing all the time, Kayla."  I said, "No mom I don't, I do pageants, and sing...I'm NOT a dancer!  Doing this is like entering me into a 3rd grade spelling contest!"  (if you didn't know, I am a HORRIBLE speller so that would be about as nerve racking as this dancing was!)
Jeremy and I at the start of our dance.
Turns out that after some fist pumps to calm my nerves and a pep talk "back stage" with Jeremy, my nerves left me and I was able to dance!  I had such an amazing time and was so happy that my mom and sister, my director and friends on the board, and all of my boyfriends family were able to make it to the show.  (The weather was horrible and we all ended up staying in Omaha that night!)

The wonderful coordinator of this whole show, Elizabeth Edwards!
Through this event we were able to raise THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for the Ronald McDonald House!  It was such a fun evening especially watching all the performances of the other contestants!  I met many great people and was blessed to be part of such a wonderful event and LOVE that I have gained some real dance experience as well.


A huge thanks to Elizabeth and Jeremy...you guys are the best!
The entire cast of "Dancing with Omaha's Stars"!

Missing my dancing already,
Kayla 
Miss Omaha

No comments:

Post a Comment