Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day of Rest in Vegas...or shopping!

Former Outstanding Teen's with the current MAOT, Lacey Russ
One day, free of competition...you'd think a possible "sleep-in" day...and you'd be wrong.  I was up and in the La Casa Hermosa suite to visit with the current Outstanding Teen's and some formers as well.  Unfortunately most of the girls in my MAOT '07 class were not there...this left me to be the oldest in the room.  Do you know what it's like to be surrounded by the young, wild, and energetic class of 2011?  I felt like such a Vet.  But I discovered quickly that I was not alone; I found my Maryland, Kasey.

Miss NE OT '07 and Miss MD OT '07 Kasey Staniszewski
After some photos, cookies and muffins I left with two former Outstanding Teens (my NH and MA sweethearts) to meet with the Sweetheart crew for a few photos before the parade.  And thanks to the wonderful Joe Whiteko, we snagged a few great ones!

A handful of the Sweethearts before the parade!


I must insert a little humor here.  Apparently when a group of good looking girls like ourselves get into a group and surround ourselves with photographers...people begin to think you're famous or something.  We had quite a few onlookers stop to take our photograph and ask for autographs as well (possibly assuming that we were the Miss America contestants).  We all got a little kick out of it but quickly realized we didn't want to hounded so we separated and headed to the Show me your Shoes Parade at Paris.

My Uncle Marky and Aunt Nanny who made this trip happen for me :)
It was over 60 degrees and sunny.  You would think that coming from Nebraska I would be basking in this weather and in fact I was.  But my comfort quickly turned into sweat and more sweat.  Ugh...the joy of being...human, I guess.  (Shhhh...don't tell anyone that I sweat, pageant girls aren't supposed to!)  After watching part of the parade and running into the Nebraska crowd, I resided on a little park bench to rest my feet and to soak up some rays.  I then had to say goodbye to my Uncle who was headed back to Colorado.  After a well desereved meal from a delicious little French cafe, NH, AL, HI, ID and myself decided to make a walking 1.7 mile trek to the OTHER thing we came to Vegas for...SHOPPING!

Sweethearts Shoppin' (NH, HI, AL, ID, NE)

The hotel I dream of staying in someday!
Our venture to the Fashion Mall down the strip lead us to hundreds of stores and a much needed dose of clothing.  I must say that I got a little too overwhelmed in the largest Forever 21 in America and made my way instead to Kennith Cole...oops.  They had a great sale what can I say!  I loved the time that I got to spend just chatting with the girls.
Sweetheart Photo
Seeing as we walked 1.7 miles to the mall (two of us in heels) we opted for a cab ride to the Hard Rock Cafe on the strip where a group of us Sweethearts planned on meeting for supper.  Our server was amazing and did a great job putting handling such a beautiful table.  And he must have overheard a conversation about how much I appreciated dessert too because he brought me this platter of desserts...all of which I declined.  (Maybe I shouldn't mention that the only reason I declined was so I could make a purchase at Ben & Jerry's instead...)
The tray full of dessert that I turned down...be proud Marianne!

Sweethearts after supper at the Hard Rock Cafe on the strip.
I wish more of the Sweethearts could have come but I enjoyed each bit of the day/evening and wouldn't have traded any of it for anything.  I have made such wonderful friendships with these girls and plan to continue each one of them.  It is going to be an exuberant experience following their journeys as local titleholders, their state pageants, and the days they become the state titleholders.  No matter what though, they will always be my sweethearts.

I thought this was a neat picture.
SOoo...I nearly posted this blog as is, when I realized I forgot one very interesting story.  As I've explained previously, there are many random men in Vegas who offer services, cards, promo's for clubs, etc.  Well, after leaving the Hard Rock, all of us were headed back to Planet Hollywood and as we walked through this small market I saw four men trying to give out CD's.  Now you may not know this but they stick their hand all the way into your line of vision and say something along the lines of, "Check out my music!"  "Ladies don't you want some great new music," and many other things.  Funny thing is, if you snatch one of these CD's they inform you that they would LOVE a donation...HAh!  So as we approached these men, I heard many things offering their CD's, and with each offer, I responded with a, "No thank you!"  
One of the gentlemen said to me, "Are you judging my music?!"
"No sir, I am not." I responded, "I'm not judging you or your music, I just don't want it."
Again he replyed, "You judgin' me?"
"No sir, I'm not."
At this point I heard the man make a comment, a funny one at that in accordance to the response of laugher I was getting from all of the girls.  I begged one of them to tell me, but they were all fighting back tears from laughing so hard.  I finally broke Miss PA and she told me what the man had said...
"Check out that wagon, she be draggin'"  As inappropriate as it sounds, and as it is actually, I couldn't help but laugh.  Let's just say that I'd never gotten any sort of comment quite like that one!  Only in Vegas!

Sealed with a laugh,
Kayla
Miss Omaha




No comments:

Post a Comment