Monday, February 28, 2011

Sweetheart Dinner

In January I was asked to be a special guest by one of my piano students.  Her youth group from Redeemer Lutheran Church was hosting a "Sweetheart Dinner" to help them raise money to go on a missions trip.  Of course I jumped at the opportunity and I ended up having a GREAT time.  There were around 40 guests and I was honored in beginning the program while the salads and soups were being served.  Because this was both an Valentine's event as well as a religious event I choose to sing Leona Lewis' "Footprints in the Sand" and Mandisa's "God Speaking."  Before I sang "Footprints in the Sand" I read the poem that has become so famous.



One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

...Mary Stevenson


Isn't it such an amazing thought to know that we are never alone?  It is such a blessed idea to understand that I will never walk alone, and despite the moments when I feel alone, God is always with me.  I forget this sometimes and singing the songs I did helped me remember the reason I am here, and who has provided me with my talents and opened doors for me.  

After my performance I was able to enjoy dinner with two couples at the front table and enjoy the other entertainment of the evening.  (One of which was my piano student Rachel!  I was SO proud of her!) 


Rachel entertaining the audience with her piano talents.

My piano student Rachel and I after the dinner.
I want to leave you with the lyrics to Mandisa's "God Speaking," it opened my eyes a bit that evening and I hope it touches your heart as well.

"God Speaking" Mandisa

Have you ever heard a love song, that set your spirit free?
Have you ever watched a sunrise and felt you could not breathe?
What if it's Him.
What if it's God speaking.

Have you ever cried a tear that you could not explain?
Have you ever met a stranger who already knew your name?
What if it's Him.
What if it's God speaking.

Who knows how He’ll get ahold of us?
Get our attention to prove He is enough.
He’ll do, and He’ll use whatever He wants to.
To tell us, I Love You.

Have you ever lost a loved one
Who you thought should still be here?
Do you know what it feels like
to be tangled up in fear?
What if He’s somehow involved?
What if He’s speaking through it all?

Who knows how He’ll get ahold of us?
Get our attention to prove he is enough.
He’ll do and He’ll use whatever He wants to
To tell us, I love you.

His ways are higher 
His ways are better
Though sometimes strange
What could be stranger than God in a manger?

Who knows how He’ll get ahold of us?
Get our attention to prove He is enough.
Who knows how He’ll get ahold of you?
Get your attention to prove he is enough.
He’ll do and He’ll use whatever He wants to,
To tell us I love you
God is speaking, I love you


With an touched heart,
Kayla 
Miss Omaha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment