Saturday, February 19, 2011

FINALS at MISS AMERICA 2011

The night we had all been waiting for...Miss America 2011 final night.  Where the competition would be cut from 53 women down to 15 all the way to 5.  Before the show though I will talk about my day.  Auntie and I decided to hit the mall one more time before our trip ended where we found some lovely gifts and  a delicious lunch.  After getting ready for the show we headed to Planet Hollywood and discovered the LONG line we had to wait in.  So we took some photos. :)

NH, AL, NE

My Aunt Nanny and I before the show.

Miss CA OT '07 Jordan and I 
It was so great running into Jordan!  We were great friends at Miss America's Outstanding Teen and I hadn't talked to her in years.  Unfortunately, walking over to see her was a BIG mistake.  As I tried to get into line again with my Aunt and my girls, I was told no...by a very intimidating woman in an orange security vest.  I tried to explain the situation that they had my ticket and I was with them, but apparently that was no excuse at all as she steered me the other way, towards the end of the line.  Little did she know that the ropes didn't go all the way around the bar, so with some sly movements and a bit of trickiness, I dodged the security women and made it back in line with my group!

After getting to our seats in the balcony, we discovered a problem.  The seats my aunt and I were supposed to sit in, were taken...by lights.  I had a little confrontation with the woman seating us as did a few other people with the same problem.  They were able to fix the situation by moving us to the floor in the front section!  It was a very nice upgrade.

As the show began I sat with my "N" sign in anticipation for what was to come.  The announcement of the top 15, then 12, then 10, then 5 and Teresa was still in.  I had gotten so nervous that I wasn't even clapping anymore and my hands were clasped so tightly I couldn't feel my fingers.  She did it.  The first woman from Nebraska to ever win Miss America!  I am so happy for her and the state.  What an honor!

The new Miss America, Teresa Scanlan

After the crowning, I headed out into the mall to find my girls from New York and Washington.  We decided that the Quicksilver store shown in the photo below wasn't that busy so we decided to make it our venue for our photo shoot.
WA, NE, and NY having a photo shoot.
This is the photo were, hypothetically, we will all be competing against each other again and will be fighting for the win...I won this one obviously!

LOVE these girls!

TaDa
You have to love our red, white, and blue!  I had such a great time with these girls and it was SO hard leaving them!  After the shoot I headed upstairs for visitation where I was able to see most of my girls for the last time.  I got to hug my Miss New Mexico, Madison, one last time and give her the encouragement that she worked so hard and performed wonderfully...what an honor to be on that stage.  And what a joy for me to be able to watch her every step of the way.  Saying goodbye was the hardest, but hopefully, I'll get to see all of my girls very soon!
Lauren and I (MN)
After visitation, and getting to see Teresa for only a short moment, Taylor, Megan, Ryan and I decided that Ben & Jerry needed some company.  We made our way through the mall and found not only ice cream, but pizza too.  As we were sitting there devouring our delicious snacks we saw Miss America judge, Mark Wills. He stopped and said something along the lines of, "So this is what pageant girls really do?"  We didn't even hide it!  I was great talking to Mark.  He shared with us his experience as a judge in both the Miss America system as well as the Miss USA system (don't worry he definitely favored us!).  He told us what kind of attributes the girls that stood out to him had and how much he truly understood the importance of the Miss America Organization.  One thing he said to us that he hadn't realized before was that in choosing a winner he was making one girls dream come true...while potentially destroying the other 52's dreams.  I said that it was a really difficult concept to understand and be okay with.  Being a competitor though, I think we all have an understanding that maybe not all of our dreams are going to come true but what an amazing experience getting there.  I will strive for my biggest dreams and goals with the realization that it's all in God's hands and the best I can do, is my best.

Mark Wills and a few sweethearts. 
Saying goodbyes in real life are just as hard and talking about them later.  I had the best time in Las Vegas with my girls and with my Auntie and Uncle, it was terribly hard to say goodbye...hence my sad face below.

Our last photo together :(
As much as I enjoyed the trip and how happy I am that Nebraska has finally made their break through, I was very ready to be home again.  Nebraska welcomed me with open arms and I am blessed to say I am from such an amazing state.  Until next year Vegas.  

With much love, 
Kayla
Miss Omaha

No comments:

Post a Comment