Sunday, June 5, 2011

Opening Ceremonies!

The three hour drive to North Platte this morning couldn't have lasted any longer it seemed but with my Redbull and water and a few phone calls, I was at the Airport Inn with the other contestants ready to kick off the day and week!  And what a pleasant little surprise when Miss America 2011, Teresa Scanlan walked into the room!  We weren't expecting her until Monday or Tuesday, but were graciously surprised.  Both she and Nicky spoke to us about what to expect with the job of Miss Nebraska.  It was all helpful information and these women have represented the state so well.  After lunch we all headed to the mall (if you've ever been to the North Platte mall you'll think of it as more of a hallway) for opening ceremonies where we were reunited with our little sisters!
My little sisters Haylee Serrano and Anabelle Gillen!
I had the pleasure of meeting Haylee at orientation but I didn't get to meet Anabelle.  They are both fabulous young ladies and I am so excited to be able to spend the week with them and get to know them.  

The beautiful Nicky Haverland, Miss Nebraska 2010.
Congratulations to the community service winners Jessica States and Kati Poppert.  They are both fabulous women and very deserving of the awards.  
Community Service Winners: 2nd place Jessica States, winner Kati Poppert.

My sister title holder Mindy Schreiber, Miss Douglas County.
After I left the mall I made my way to my host family's house (so they are basically real family since I've had them for three years now) where I found two of my host brothers running around with no clothes on while eating ice cream bars.  You may think that's crazy, but it's home.  And just think of how much easier cleanup is!  I was greeted with a giant chalk version of me in the driveway, a drawn picture of my on the chalkboard in the dining room, a sign by the front door and an entire Ziploc bag full of princesses that my host sister made for me.  I asked her how long she'd been working on them (there are probably 25 different ones) and she said "since yesterday!"  She must have had her hands full!  I am so anxious to be here and have halfway unpacked, finished rhinestoning and even uploaded pictures and watched some news.

My host sister Tonja.
I had an amazing chat with God this morning on the way into town and know that I am in the right place in my heart and that's all that matters.  I hope to be posting videos at the end of each day this week, but we'll see how busy I get.  It is Miss Nebraska week!  Oh yes, my grandma Mary and great aunt Donna were at a convention in North Platte this afternoon so I got a surprise visit from them at the mall.  I love them both dearly!

Time for a bit of supper and then off to rehearsals!

Kayla 
Miss Omaha

ps. the hand soap in my bathroom smells AMAZING!  I can't stop sniffing my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment